Bricklayers and restorative stone masons are in-demand. If you’re detail-oriented, creative and enjoy hands-on work, this program is for you.
Learn how to safely prepare and lay bricks, concrete blocks and stone to construct and repair both decorative and load-bearing structures, such as walls, partitions, patios, arches, paving, fireplaces, smokestacks and chimneys. You also learn other important skills like how to read construction documents, understand building codes, plan projects and work as a part of a team.
- Field experience (work placement) is a mandatory credit course completed at the end, or throughout the duration, of your program. It provides you with the opportunity to apply your knowledge and skills outside of the classroom.
- Opportunities are typically unpaid and last approximately 5 weeks.
- Transportation, accommodations and other costs related to work placements are your responsibility.
Full Time, Permanent
Duties to include
- Quality control
- Machine operator
- Mechanically inclined
- Ability to learn adapt to different machinery
- Ability to read and communicate in English
- Availability to work overtime and/or shift work
About the Program
This unique program provides in-depth theory and hands-on training for the brick and stone masonry trade. Located at the Waterloo campus, Conestoga’s Masonry Centre provides you with the ideal setting in which to learn to work with brick, stone, and a variety of other masonry materials. Students will be given many opportunities to design and construct masonry walls and features in a safe and efficient manner. You will learn to safely and properly operate hand and power tools, as well as equipment used by masons on a construction site. You will also gain valuable knowledge about vital aspects of the brick and stone trade in Canada, including heritage masonry and refractory masonry, as well as commercial and residential applications. A graduate of this program may be exempt from the Level 1 in-school apprenticeship training should they choose to pursue a Brick and Stone apprenticeship.
Length: One-year Ontario College Certificate program
Delivery Sequence: Waterloo – September/2020 – Fall | Winter
First-Year Capacity: 30
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), or equivalent, or 19 years of age or older with mature student status (See Mature Student definition for details.)
Diploma and Certificate Programs Standard Language Requirements would be used should a student apply with the need to complete one of these additional requirements.
- IELTS overall band of 6 with no band less than 5.5
- TOEFL iBT 80
- CAEL 70 with minimum 60 writing, no sub-test band score less than 30
- PTE Academic 51
- Conestoga English Language Test (CELT) Band 5
Permacon, a CRH Company, is a leader and pioneer in the manufacturing of concrete masonry and landscaping products. Permacon is a division of Oldcastle® Architectural and operates 11 plants in Ontario and Quebec.
We are currently looking for a Machine Operator for our Milton plant. The chosen candidate will be mainly
- Operating the machine and ensure its good functioning.
- Following quality manual and health and safety policies and procedures
- Operating all the equipment related to the machine.
- Participating in maintenance work and/or mould changes.
- Preventive maintenance of equipment.
- Performing operations and necessary adjustments for machine start up.
- Programming equipment in accordance to the product requested.
- Adjusting the machine and equipment in accordance to production and quality standards.
- Completing quality and production reports.
- Looking after the curing of the products to ensure a good curing of product.
- Identifying any abnormalities or faulty situations in regard to the product, quality, machine, equipment
What we are looking for:
- Dedicated individuals
- Prompt and punctual
- Industrial experience
- Mechanical aptitude
- Grade 12 completed.
- Diploma in welding or mechanical techniques will be an asset.
- Mechanically inclined.
- Welding, mechanical, hydraulics and electrical competencies will be an asset.
- Team work, initiative, ownership and capability to react with precision.
We offer a competitive salary and a full range of benefits, including a group pension plan.
Individual accommodation shall be provided for applicants with disabilities who meet required qualifications.