Latest News

At least one dead as fire torches Quebec seniors’ residence

Thursday, January 15, 2009 flames tore through a seniors’ home in Saguenay, Que.

The damage was so extensive the three-storey building collapsed entirely.

While crews picked through the charred remains of the building, investigators hinted that the fire was likely sparked in the building’s electrical room.

Last year, the home passed a fire inspection and yet the flames quickly consumed the building.

A 71-year-old woman is dead and three other people are still unaccounted for.  The fire
came as Saguenay was still reeling from an apartment fire which killed two people on
Jan. 5.

This item would have read differently if the building were built of Concrete Block!

  •  Block does not burn.
  • Block prevents the spread of fire to adjacent dwellings.
  • Block greatly reduces the chances of structural collapse.
  • Block does not produce toxic gas, smoke or fumes.
  • Block can help lower insurance premiums.
  • Block costs less to maintain, with no periodic testing or inspection required.
  • Block eliminates mold growth.
  • Block is competitively priced.
  • Block prevents heat loss which makes it energy-efficient.
  • Block is quieter.
  • Block manages moisture

Download PDF